As bitcoin’s price is moving up in the cryptocurrency market, we have increasing number of people wondering where and how, and what is the best way to buy bitcoin online.
The main two ways to buy bitcoin
- Through trading platform or exchanges: this method can be difficult to understand in terms of how to deposit coins, set buys in the order book and how to be used in general. However they are great for intermediate and advanced users.
- Through brokers: which is the method that we’re going to focus on as we think that this way is the bestand most straightforward path for people who are new to buying bitcoin.
Now let’s get into our choices for the best way to purchase bitcoin
in our search for the best way to buy bitcoin our number one choice will be River Financial. It was founded in 2019 so it is very new, but they took the top spot on this list in the quickestway.
- They have recurring orders: when they first came onto the scene in 2019 being able to use recurring orders to dollars-cost average purchase bitcoin was a rare feature, only a handful of services offered it. Now many more offer this feature but River is still considered the bestand wins on the next feature which is fees.
- They have really low fees: especially when you’re using recurring orders. A great thing about River is that you get a discount on fees when you set up recurring orders. When you schedule recurring orders you unlock 20% discount on fees. They already have very competitive fees but the discount they win. You can set up multiple recurring orders if you want you can set them up as daily, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly purchases.
- Their web interface is excellent. It’s super easy to use and looks great.
- There is a great overview page and performance charts. They are regularly adding features and other useful things.
They have the bestsecurity practices and philosophy. Now you may want to use a hardware wallet more on to store your bitcoins, but with the services available here you can trust your bitcoin with River Financial more than any other place.
One downside is only people who reside in the USA can use it. Furthermore they aren’t in every state in the USA yet. They are only in 30 states with them regularly adding states as they complete all the regularly steps required.
Another downside is they have an order minimum of $100. For some people this might not be a downside as their buys are usually much higher than this. But if you don’t have much money and are wanting to buy a little bitcoin then this might be an issue for you.
How to buy BTC on River Financial?
- Get into the link river.com.
- Simply create your account.
- Once you create your account with river.com and you log in you get your overview page.
- Click on “buy bitcoin”, and like we said the minimum purchase that you can do with River Financial is $100, and you are allowed to put it into whichever of the accounts you have opened with them.
- Choose your payment method.
- And you have down at the bottom the recurring order discount option, if you click on that you can select between daily, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly and you get 20% fees when you do this.
Now if you turn that off for a second and preview your order you will be able to see that your $100 has a $2.99 fee for purchasing but if you go back and turn it on (the recurring order) and then you go and preview your order you will find it $2.39 and of course this continues to go the higher up your purchases are, but you get that 20% discount regardless of what the purchase amount is.
- In the preview they will give you the value of bitcoin that you can get for $100, if you want to proceed with the order click “buy” and the purchase will be done.
- Click “close” and it will be automatically reflected in your account
next on the list is Cash App. Cash App was originally built as a mobile payments app for sending person-to-person fast payments. However later they have added support for buying stocks and bitcoin.
Cash App is the best way to buy bitcoin if you are looking to buy BTC through a mobile app. It’s a great looking and super easy to use app. You’ll be up and running with the app very fast. When it comes to buying bitcoin Cash App is the best for people who are looking for the easiest method of buying bitcoin and who are looking to make smaller investments of $250 or less each time they buy.
- Cash App’s minimum order amount for bitcoin is just $1. This is great for someone who is just wanting to invest in bitcoin but only has a minimal amount of money to do so.
- On top of that great buy minimum amount, the fees on orders under $250 are fantastic. When you buy $1 worth of bitcoin you pay just 3 cents, and for $100 order you pay a $2.27 fee.
Cash App starts being so economical once you get into the higher order amount. For example a $1000 through Cash App will have a fee of $17.66. However if we put that versus a recurring $1000 order through River would have just a fee of $11.82. Those $6 might not be a big deal for some people, but if you buy regularly it does add up over time.
- Cash App lets you buy with debit card or a bank account but doesn’t support PayPal.
- Like River Cash App also supports recurring orders, however there’s no fee discount when setting it up. The recurring order’s minimum amount is $10, and you can set those purchases on daily, weekly or bi-weekly basis. You can buy up to $100.000 a week, and you can sell unlimited amount.
There’s a downside when it comes to use it to buy larger amounts and that is you could only withdraw up to $2000 of bitcoin a day, or up to %5000 a week. So it’s not a great option for big purchases unless you’re okay with withdrawing it in smaller chunks.
How to buy BTC on the Cash App?
- Download your Cash App, create your account and get verified.
- Once you do that you will see a screen, if you go down to the very bottom the fourth icon over on the right is a squiggly line which is stock and bitcoin.
- Click on the bitcoin slider. You can see a little market chart there with the price.
- Click “buy”, and again you can click one time purchase or you can change it to recurring order.
- After that you have pre-filled amounts, here you can hit (…) and put in the custom amount, let’s say $10.
- Click “next”.
- Verify with thump print.
- Then it will show you information like funding source and exchange rate, and it will show you that your total bitcoin purchase is $9.78 because your fees will be only 22 cents.
- Click “confirm” and it will give you how much bitcoin you’ve bought.
- Click “done”, and it will be reflected in your account view.
third on our list is Coinbase. This is by far the most popular choice we’re covering.
What’s good about Coinbase is that firstly they have been around for a relatively long time. Coinbase was founded 2012. They are established in the crypto space and they are pretty reputable company that’s growing all the time, as of 2017 they have over 13 million users.
- Coinbase is one of the easiest platforms to use online.
- This along with them being a leader is the space is the reason so many people recommend them.
- They have a great looking mobile app and web interface, and they’re pretty easy to use.
- They offer the recurring orders, but like Cash App without the fees discounts.
- Coinbase’s flat fee is 99 cents for orders under $10.
- It’s good alternative for River Financial given that River is not available outside the US, not even in all states.
- Coinbase wins on fees over Cash App for larger purchases.
Coinbase is good, but it doesn’t do what the other options do as good as they do it.
As for fees, with River you can save a lot of fees with recurring orders, and without recurring orders River still has competitive rates. Also for smaller purchases of bitcoin, Coinbase loses again to the Cash App which saves a lot on fees on the low end, and it also has a better app experience.
If we put Coinbase’s flat fee which is 99 cents for orders under $10 versus Cash App scaling fees for small orders, it eats away half of your purchase if you bought the minimum allowed on Coinbase. That means if you buy two dollars with Coinbase you only get a $1.01 worth, while if you buy two dollars with the Cash App you get $1.94 worth of bitcoin.
These are tiny amounts, but for some people who only buy $1-5 a day or a week of bitcoin that’s a huge difference.
Another downside is that Coinbase offers a bunch of cryptocurrencies to choose from and this can be confusing. For example you can buy one coin called “bitcoin cash”, this is not bitcoin. Some people get confused and think that this is a less expensive bitcoin and get duped into buying this coin.
How to buy BTC on Coinbase:
- Launch your app
- Once you create an account, download the app and log in you should see the main screen.
- Simply click the two arrows pointing each to two different directions in the middle.
- Click buy crypto with cash.
- Then select bitcoin.
- Click on “one-time purchase”. (you can also select repeated buy)
- Fill in the amount of purchase.
- Click on preview buy and it will give you your exchange rate, payment method. The easiest and the quickest way to buy cryptocurrency with Coinbase is to use a credit card or a debit card, but the fee is going to be a little bit higher.
- Click “buy now”.
- Click “continue” and it will be reflected in your account.
Buying bitcoin anonymously
Bitcoin isn’t a tangible item, but rather a currency with the ability to buy things and exchange with other people in a decentralized way. It means that no one owns bitcoin and you can directly pay someone without a third party like a bank, PayPal, debit or credit card.
Some people don’t like the fact that it’s not available to buy BTC anonymously, so they try to find some ways to buy and sell bitcoin anonymously. This is not to seek something illegal but rather they don’t want banks and governments to control their money. For instance if you work in cryptocurrency and you deposit the coins in UK bank account they may shut down the account because the UK banks are not crypto friendly.